What to expect when you are expecting
Pregnancy is that phase of life where you feel the most jubilant but when you have to deal with lots of physical and emotional changes it becomes a little troublesome.
From the moment you come to know about your pregnancy you start making plans about the future, waiting for your bundle of joy to be in your loving arms.
Returning to the present situation, you as an expectant mother should know about healthy pregnancy. There are certain things you should avoid and certain you should follow to keep both mother and child healthy.
Let’s start with the do’s
- Eat healthy– a diet rich in vitamins, anti-oxidants, minerals in short a balanced diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables. Lack of nutrition can result in defected egg or sperm.
- Prenatal vitamins- the prescribed prenatal vitamins by your gynecologist are important for the proper growth and development of the baby.
- Kegel exercises- these exercises improve pelvic muscles which in turn affects the bladder, bowel and uterus. It can be done anywhere anytime and helps you at the time of delivery. It is very easy to do, just squeeze your pelvic muscles like you want to stop yourself from using the bathroom. Hold yourself in this position for three seconds and then relax for the next three. Do these exercises every day in sets of ten.
- Sunblock- the skin of a pregnant lady is more sensitive and can sunburn easily. Be diligent about wearing a sunblock when stepping out in to the sun.
- Eat six meals a day- nutrition is most important than ever. Not only you need the energy but the little one inside you is also dependent on you for proper growth and development. Make sure you eat several meals in a day incorporating healthy items from each food group.
- Body pillow- sleeping becomes an issue as you get towards the end of your pregnancy. A maternity or body pillow can solve your problem as these are specially designed to support your entire body making you feel comfortable.
- Stay positive- everything an expectant mother feels is picked by the baby in the womb. Try to stay as positive as you can about all the things around you so your child feels the same.
- Books- reading books on pregnancy or positive healing can be good for you and the baby. You can also read story books to your little one who is still inside you. Playing soft music can also make you baby feel positive.
- Regular exercise- yoga, walk or other household chores are recommended by doctors but do consult with your gynecologist about the exercises and their duration.
- Sex- after the first trimester, sex is given a go by doctors till you feel comfortable about it. Do not hesitate to ask your gynecologist about safe sex during pregnancy.
The don’ts of a healthy pregnancy
- Alcohol- it is recommended to avoid alcohol during your entire pregnancy. If you like to have a glass of wine or two regularly, do ask your doctor for advice.
- Smoking- smoking is injurious to you as well can be injurious to your baby. It results in serious health risk to infants. Avoid smoking from your pregnancy till you breast feed your little one.
- Dieting- it is not the time to think about your weight. Eating healthy is important and this is how you would not gain excess weight.
- Company- as the company so the color, this saying fits here too as your company affects your mood so does your child’s. Stay away from people who have a negative attitude as it drains out your energy and as said earlier your mood and attitude is picked up by the baby in your womb.
- Scary images- keep away from horror or scary images or movies because once again your child can sense your reaction or discomfort.
- Mood swings- mood swings or insomnia during pregnancy are normal issues. Don’t get stressed over these things as stress too results in abnormal sleep patterns.
Pregnancy is supposed to be a happy time so leave that stress behind and enjoy. It does become overwhelming sometimes but then the end result makes it all worthy.